Ronald L. Hopping, O.D., MPH, has taken the office of president of the American Optometric Association (AOA). Dr. Hopping will serve for the 2012-2013 term and was first elected to the board in 2005. Dr. Ronald Hopping, following in the footsteps of his father, Dr. Richard Hopping, who also served as president, will mark the first time in AOA history that a father and son have both held the top office.
Other exciting news regarding other AOA leadership roles includes:
- President Elect: Mitchell T. Munson, O.D.
- Vice President: David A. Cockrell, O.D.
- Secretary-Treasurer: Steven A. Loomis, O.D.
- AOA Board of Trustees: Hilary L. Hawthorne, O.D., has been re-elected
- AOA Board of Trustees: Christopher Quinn, O.D., has been re-elected
- AOA Board: William T. Reynolds, O.D.
- Andrea Thau, O.D., Barb Horn, O.D., and Sam Pierce, O.D comprise the other trustees of the AOA
Finally, Dori M. Carlson, O.D., will assume the AOA office of immediate past-president. Dr. Carlson was first elected to the board in June 2004 and was the first woman to serve as AOA president. Dr. Carlson achieved many feats during her time as president and her work will always be remembered and appreciated.
A very warm welcome from everyone at Optometrystudents.com and many thanks to the special individuals who have assumed a leadership role in this profession in order to bring it to great heights amidst the many challenges it faces.