The countdown to Denver is on. In just over a month, students and ODs alike will take the city by storm to attend Optometry’s Meeting 2018. We’re here to guide you through all the excitement, entertainment, and adventure of this year’s OM.
Speakers and Education
- Kicking off this year’s meeting is keynote speaker outdoorsman Aron Ralston. Ralston gained national recognition after he survived a canyoneering accident by amputating his own arm to free himself from a boulder, and has since become a renowned inspirational speaker. His speech will surely be a powerful start to the meeting.
- On Friday, Alexa von Tobel is back by popular demand. You may remember her as the financial guru who spoke at last year’s OM in Washington, DC. If you want valuable advice on financial planning, explained to you in a way that actually makes sense, be sure to attend her presentation.
- Throughout OM, students are welcome to sit in on top-notch continuing education sessions, with topics ranging from sports vision to treatment of disease to tips on practice management.
- And as always, don’t forget to swing by the exhibit hall to keep up to date with industry representatives and the newest technologies… and of course to snag some freebies.
- Optometry’s Meeting isn’t all presentations and education. In fact, it’s perhaps best known for Essilor’s annual Optometry Student Bowl, which takes place on Thursday night. Relive the action from last year’s Student Bowl, and get hyped to represent your school this year in Denver.
- Friday night is the ever-popular Luxottica Live! If you were lucky enough to attend last year’s silent disco at the Smithsonian National Zoo, you know this year’s event can’t be missed. Spend your Friday night at Lucky Strike Denver to sample the city’s premier drinks and cuisine and try your hand at bowling with optometry students from around the country.
- On Saturday night, make sure to attend the Celebration of Optometry with comedian Howie Mandel, with a DJ and dancing to follow.
- Attend Microbrew Mania in the exhibit hall on Friday to explore Denver’s thriving craft beer scene without leaving the convention center, when locally brewed beers will be served at the hall’s concessions areas.
- And if you want to put your physical fitness to the test, take on the altitude with the Optometry Cares 5k on Saturday morning. Don’t forget to register if you want your shot at the prizes for each category.
Denver has quickly become a popular destination, so use your time at OM to explore the city! Soak in the state’s gorgeous scenery with a hike at the iconic Red Rocks Park. Stroll on over to Coors Field and watch the Colorado Rockies take on the Miami Marlins. Not far from the convention center is Denver’s City Park, home to the Denver Zoo, as well as the Museum of Nature & Science. And don’t forget to check out downtown’s extensive microbrewery scene, which is quickly gaining popularity and recognition from brew masters across the country.
Cash-In on Opportunities
Still aren’t sold on attending this year’s Optometry’s Meeting? Don’t let the expense stop you. The AOSA is granting almost $60,000 in travel stipends this year, including the AOSA Grant sponsored by Allergan and the AOSA Influencer Program. Students are also encouraged to earn money as CE monitors. Learn more here, and pay your way to Denver by working events throughout the meeting.
There is never a dull moment at Optometry’s Meeting, and this year in Denver surely won’t disappoint. Register today to ensure you won’t miss out on the action! We hope to see you there!